How is 2017 going so far? Did you review 2016 with enthusiasm and feel proud of all of the things you achieved? Or did you feel frustrated that you'd spent most of your time stuck on Someday Isle?
In his book 'No Excuses', Brian Tracy refers to 'Someday Isle' as a metaphor for a mind-set where you dream about your desires, without taking the necessary steps or actions to achieve them.
Someday Isle can consist of negative thinking or self-criticism that sets you up for defeat before even getting started on achieving your hopes and dreams. This kind of mind-set can leave you stranded with thoughts such as:
'Someday I'll start my own business' 'Someday I'll study for that qualification' 'Someday I'll get fit and healthy'
Do any of the above statements sound familiar to you?
What's your Someday Isle destination? Each of us have different versions of 'Someday Isles' with the end result always being the same… waiting for something else to happen before plucking up the courage to jump into our boat and get off the isle.
We can often rationalise our in-action with excuses like ‘I don't have the time’, ‘I don't have the finances’ or ‘now's not the right time'. Such excuses only allow for our dreams to slip further and further away, until we stop thinking about them all together, or maybe we even talk ourselves into believing that someday isle is an okay place to be as its safe, familiar and comfortable.
Often it is fear that can stop us from taking the next steps towards what we want or are truly capable of achieving and instead of taking action we can end up drifting along and fantasising about the things that we may have always wanted to do instead of going out and attempting to get them.
When we allow ourselves to become aware of our existence on 'Someday Isle' we're able to get out of our own way and go after what it is that we truly want. Our motivation levels increase and suddenly we’re filled with passion, excitement and determination to bust through the excuses that may have been holding us back.
If you want to break free from ‘Someday Isle’ below are some of my top tips:
- Eliminate the word "try" from your vocabulary. Are you the kind of person who always tries to get something done? The word try could mean a lack of engagement in the end goal. Do or do not there is no try!
- Refuse to let other peoples' negativity drag you down. Ignore those who repeatedly tell you it will be difficult, this is your goal, not theirs. Keep focused and eliminate their hindering thoughts from your life.
- Be more aware of "Someday Isle" and remember, there are 7 days in a week and someday is not one of them! Take action and small steps every day towards achieving your goals.
- Get a coach. Coaching is about opening a client up to the realisation that they truly can, be, do or have anything. Everyone has massive potential and a Coach will help to get you from where you are now to where you want to be.
- Attend The Coaching Academy's free 2 day coaching course if you haven't already to find out how a coaching qualification can help you to create a life you love.
- Sign up for my Daily Do Its! For a daily dose of inspiration and motivation to accelerate your success (www.bevjames.com).
Now's your chance to stop waiting for 'someday' to arrive and take small steps to row your boat away from Someday Isle and towards living the life of your dreams instead. So what are you waiting for? Make 2017 your year!